Thursday, October 6, 2011
10:33 PM
It was 10.45 AM. I was drinking my green tea latte and listening to music in the Engineering building lounge when my dad sent me a message on WhatsApp.
"Steve Jobs died!" it read.
An image of our TV screen at home followed.

There are some people in the world, that sometimes you just forget that they are normal and mortal human beings. Well, maybe you do acknowledge the fact that they will die someday too, but you just never thought that it would happen so soon. I knew there was a period when Steve Jobs was really sick, but I didn't know he was still struggling with it until he left the world. It was just last night when I watched Apple release the new iPhone 4S and introduce the magical "Siri" to the world. It is hard to believe that the pioneer of all these magical innovations has left us.
Never in a million years did I see myself so deeply affected by the death of someone I hardly know. My chest has been feeling heavy and I have been holding back tears for the whole day. Steve Jobs is my idol, my hero and I look up to him very much. He has built a company that is the marriage of both the liberal arts and technology. To this day, I can still remember the very words he said: "It's in Apple's DNA that technology alone is not enough. That it's technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the result that make our hearts sing."
It saddened me when he stepped down as CEO. Now it breaks my heart to realize that I will never get to meet this great man, and that I will never get to work with him. I was worried about Apple without Steve Jobs as CEO. But after watching the keynote last night, I am sure Apple will just continue to get better and better. I trust the people that Steve Jobs trusts. May Apple continue to produce great products that change the lives of many for generations to come.
Let me end this post with a video of Apple's latest magical software "Siri". The Apple and Wolfram Alpha partnership excites me. If the beta version is this good, I cannot wait to see what the software can do in the years to come.
Thank you, Mr. Steve Jobs. You've made a believer out of me. Rest in peace.
