Wednesday, January 26, 2011
1:45 AM
16th January 2011, Singapore: Day 2
We had buffet for breakfast at Café Swiss. The waffles and the cinnamon rolls were so good! I am gonna get one of the waffle makers someday. After breakfast we went shopping. I forgot the name of the mall, but I think it was Centrepoint. It was there I found my Moleskine diary in the Times bookstore. You wouldn't believe how much I paid for the book. Oh well, it's Italian and handmade...
The time for the autograph session was 3 PM. I left Centrepoint alone at 1.30 PM while mum and dad continued their shopping. I took a cab from Orchard to the Square 2 mall at Novena. It wasn't far away. It took only about 5 to 10 minutes to reach there. I thought I was early enough to be able to queue quite far up the line, but I was damn wrong. When the mall came into view, I saw loads of people outside the building and along the road. Even the taxi driver went, "WAH! What happen ah? Why so many people? WAH! Maybe one of the Korean stars is here ah!" Err...
When I got out of the cab, I realised the people were queueing. I went inside and saw the head of the queue. The line of people started from right in front of the stage, zigzagged across the ground floor of the mall, to the outside of the building where it made a turn around the building and finally out to the roadside. I never saw the end of the line. By then I was convinced that I could never get Hebe's autograph. At least I could see her again, I told myself.

Near the stage, there was also an area where photographers had gathered. There were a lot of them and most of them were tall men. With huge DSLRs. Too late for me again! There were also a lot of security guards roaming around the mall. The queue was separated from the shoppers and onlookers by metal fences. I went to the first floor to find a better spot but to no avail. I know why they chose that unpopular mall now. They want easier management of the people traffic. The corridors were filled with shops so there's no way you can watch from the upper floors. Unless you go eat at the restaurants, which would give you a really nice view from above. Many people did that. The restaurants on the upper floors were packed. The walkways were narrow too. I lingered on the first floor to snap a few pictures, but soon a security guard came and shooed me away. Security was very tight.

I went back down to where all the photographers were and waited. After an hour plus, at 3 PM, the MC came on stage. He's one of the DJs working at a Singapore radio station. At 3.05 PM, Hebe finally arrived! She came down from the escalator and there were so many people at the first floor, right next to the escalator, taking pictures. Why the hell were they allowed up there? That was where I stood before the security guard came! So unfair. Anyway, she greeted us by asking, "大家有睡饱吗?" Apparently the first few people in line started queueing last night right after the concert ended. Hardcore fans. Also, the estimated number of fans at the autograph session was more than 3000, according to the MC. Craziness.
Hebe then sang "寂寞寂寞就好" before starting the signing at 3.20 PM. I managed to take a few pictures of her among the sea of heads and DSLRs. This was the first time I wished I was taller! A zoom lens would be nice too. Some people even brought stools to stand on. Man, these Singaporeans know everything and they came prepared! There was also an angmoh next to me. I don't think he knew who Hebe was. He asked the fans next to him about her. When she sang he just kept nodding and raised his arm enthusiastically. Very funny.

There were three or four security guards on stage and one of them completely blocked Hebe from the audience. A lot of fans complained about him out loud. I smiled, but yeah, I also got really annoyed when I couldn't take any good pictures of her! It started to get boring since there was nothing left for me to do except watching the line of people move. The security guard still kept blocking Hebe, and I've taken quite a good number of photos. The line moved quickly though. The MC said it took her about 3 seconds to sign once. She only stopped to smile and shake hands, unless the fan talked to her. They knew there were tons of people out there under the sun so they kinda rushed things a little. The event staff worked efficiently though. Everything went smoothly.

Then it was 3.40 PM. I decided to go out to queue. Since I'm here, why not? The line was still as long as ever. I walked along the roadside towards the end of the line. I walked and walked and walked, but I never saw or reached the end of the line. I gave up halfway because the line was honestly really long. I didn't know how long it was gonna take to wait for my turn. Until the night falls? I walked back to the mall. Still signing. I took more pictures.
Around 4.30 PM, I went outside to sit at the taxi drop-off point, watching the queue of people move. I was envious and kinda depressed that I won't be able to get her autograph. I mean, it's such a waste. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I still didn't want to leave. As I was debating with myself about whether to get on a taxi and go back to our hotel, I heard a group of women talking. "哎呀,去排啦!不是很多人 liao ma!" When they went back in to buy their CDs/DVDs, I went to look at the line. They were right, I could easily see the end of the line! It's not very far away. I immediately went to join the line. Thank you God!

While queueing, I listened to my iPod. I took out the 交心卡 contained in the album and wrote some words for Hebe. I would give it to her later. The line stopped moving for about 5/10 minutes. I suppose she went for a break. Behind me, people continued to join the line. Around 5.30 PM, I was finally inside the building. As the line proceeded, the staff checked my DVD before pressing a red stamp on my arm. Again, tight security. As I moved closer to the stage, I took out my Pentax and snapped a few photos of Hebe. Everything is bigger and clearer now! It's different from last night. Last night there was low lighting. Now it's bright and I could see her face clearly. She is very very beautiful. Am I surprised?


It was 5.45 PM. As I approached the stage, there was another worker who gave me a sticker to be stuck on my shirt, and then another worker who stamped my arm again. This time it's blue. I went on stage and immediately got asked to put my camera into my bag. I just stared at them. Why do I have to? It's switched off! They told me to do it again so I did. What a waste of time! Then they took my DVD from my hand and placed it on the table. There were two or three assistants beside Hebe, moving the CDs and DVDs along. What bugged me was how they snatched the 交心卡 from my hand too. It was also placed on the table. They could have at least asked for my permission and told me what they're going to do with it. I hope they kept it and passed it to Hebe. I hope she read it!
Anyway I can't remember much about what happened on stage because everything happened in a flash. It's true. Within a minute, I was already off the stage. I remember the woman in front of me leaving without getting back her CD and they called her. It was funny. Someone's nervy! That wasn't the case for me. I was really calm. I knew what I gotta do. Smile, shake her hand and pronounce "谢谢" perfectly. Yeah, you might think that's funny, but try being in my shoes! I didn't dare to speak more to her. Anyway I wrote what I wished I could say to her on the card already. While she signed my DVD, I just kept staring at her face. So pretty... Then she looked up, smiled and raised her left hand. Oh my God, that killer gaze and sweet smile... I shook her hand, smiled and said "谢谢!" I took back my DVD and went down the stage halfheartedly. I was so busy staring at her that I didn't realise my hand held the DVD at the wrong spot. My finger brushed against the silver marker ink and I smudged her autograph! I was mad at first, but then I thought that's cool. It gives the autograph and the entire experience a sense of realness and togetherness. Me, smearing her autograph. A perfect one would look fake anyway!


After getting off the stage, I stayed until she finished signing. By that time, it was already 6 PM. She said thanks and left on the same escalator again. After waiting for a taxi, I left Square 2 and met up with mum and dad again at our hotel. We went to VivoCity that night to shop and have dinner at Sushi Tei.


And that concludes my encounter with my super idol, Hebe! It was a fruitful experience and I will never ever forget it. I am now looking forward to her second album and next concert! Woohoo!
