Sunday, July 18, 2010
7:17 PM
Everyone's talking about what happens next year nowadays. When I go out with friends, this is what we talk about most of the time. Well, we have to. There's not much time left for us to think and we have to act fast.
I still don't know what I wanna do. I've been told that my late grandmother wishes for me to become a doctor. So does my mum. But I can't. I don't have the courage or guts. I'm no doctor material. I'm not interested. I could easily choose to please everyone and go for medicine, but no, this is my life. I don't want to do something that I have no passion for for the rest of my life.
There are two types of people. Those who are technical, and those who are artistic. I am in the middle (I am the third type? Sorry I don't really know what I'm talking about). I'm not crazy about calculations and analysis and the facts and the figures, but I like it enough to want to do engineering. But truthfully, what else is there for me to do? I've spent four years studying science. Yeah, I could easily take off and appear on shows like American Idol. Or upload videos of my horrible singing on YouTube and pray to be the next Justin Bieber. Or start a business without any background knowledge. Or open my pie shop. It's a possibility. But it's not practical. Engineering - that's more likely to happen for me.
But it would kill me if that means spending hours everyday in the lab/office/platform/factory performing calculations, analyzing this and that. I'm also an arts person. I'm very much like my dad. My dad has been an arts person his whole life. At school he was brilliant in Art. Mr. Jim used to tell me all about his achievements. An 'A' for Art in O Level. He went to Canada to study designing when I was a year old. He worked as a graphics designer for years. He made a lion (the one for dancing) on his own from scratch. He is real good at Photoshop. He knows a lot about photography (I only found out this year), etc. etc. Yeah, but I can never be as good as him. I guess some part of the 'art side' got replaced by the 'technical' part.
Anyway, what I'm saying is that I hope I can do the hybrid of art and science. Or art and engineering. Is there such a thing? Yes there is. I'm interested in architecture, but it probably doesn't involve much science. Anyway I spent a few minutes doing some research today and I found some really great stuff.
Watch this video and see for yourself the combination of art and engineering. Absolutely inspiring. This gives me hope.
The walls between art and engineering exist only in our minds.- Theo Jansen, world renowned artist/engineer/architect
Maybe all kinds of engineering have elements of the art incorporated into them. Maybe I shouldn't give up. There are many more things I have yet to discover.
I guess that's all for now, until I decide what to do... I will not disappoint my parents and my grandma!
