Sunday, January 31, 2010
12:38 AM
I ended up sleeping for only 4 hours last night because I read a novel when I should really be studying for my Biology test today. By noon I'd reached the climax and the exciting part of the book, so I couldn't put it down. The book is "Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks. One of the reasons I got the book in the first place was because I knew the movie will be in theaters next month, and Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried are playing the lead characters. I have to catch that! Plus it's Nicholas Sparks. I'm a sucker for romantic, dramatic and tragic stories, so generally I love books by Nicholas Sparks - he writes some of the best of those kinds of stories.
I loved the book, but it made me really emo for the rest of the day. The ending is sad, and I don't like that. However, I'm kind of excited for the movie after watching the trailer. The trailer looks sad enough and I pray that the movie does not stray away from the book too much. I wouldn't mind though if they changed the ending of the movie, because I really don't like the sad ending in the book. We need more happy endings in the world.
So it's already the 30th of January. Time flies huh? I'm already 18 but I barely feel like it. The feeling hasn't settled in yet, partly because I haven't actually "celebrated" my 18th birthday with my family, not until the 5th of February. That's according to the Chinese calendar. However, my day at school on the 26th of January was special and memorable enough. I'm sure even with my poor memory, I will not forget that very day.
First off I want to thank everyone who has made the effort and taken the time to acknowledge my 18th year in this world. From every text message to every present and handshake, they all mean the world to me. I didn't expect people like Vun and Mira (who are very busy with their own lives) to remember, but they did, and I feel ever so thankful for having friends like them in my life.
Thank you Gloria. Thank you Syee Chee. Thank you Chen Yin. Thank you Huey Shyan. The great surprise which is your homemade chocolate cupcakes really caught me off guard. They were beautiful and delicious little things, but sadly, their fate now lies in the sewers. Don't worry, I still have that little picture of you guys! Thank you thank you thank you!
Thank you Hui, for spending 13 hours of your life to make that special mug. I know it must have been really hard work to stick all those sequins one by one, and most importantly to turn the mug into a wonderful piece of art. I know you have poured your heart out in making the gift, so thank you so so much.
Thank you Teng. For the peanut butter M&M's. For the huge birthday card. For the HUGE BIKE. I couldn't believe it when I received your miss call, and outside the house was a man pulling out a brand new bike from the back of his car. And though what followed was a stream of profanities on your MSN window (while you kept HAHAHAHA-ed), I know fully your intentions and I thank you for that. Just promise not to get me anything that expensive again! The wish list was meant for my parents. LOL
Thank you Fun, for the incredibly touching slideshow of yours. I know you've put in a lot of heart in making it. I know you've typed every single word on the slideshow and I believed each and every one of them, because I know they are real. There were typos and grammar errors, but believe it or not, those are the things that make the slideshow even more special to me! And for you to apologise about them before I even watched it makes it an even more heartfelt gift. Thank you! (You know I'm touched to the core, I don't need tears to prove it!)
I wish I could thank everyone who has made me feel so special that day. It is not an impossible feat, but that would mean I need to put my memory to work, and it would probably take a few days to thank everyone personally. Anyhow, I wanna say thank you here... to everyone. I love all of you and you're all in my birthday wishes.
Enjoy the pictures!

